Join me if you dare!

I am like a Janus face. On this page, I turn away the countenance of the historical novelist and expose the strange egocentric creature I call 'me.' It was time to separate the co-joined. I discovered that those who visited my blog for a glimpse of the personal Linda Root did not wish an encounter with the novelist, and the visitors who came hoping for a look at the First Marie or with intent to scale the wall of the abbey Saint Pierre les Dames for a glimpse of the Hidden Princess in my Midwife's Secret trilogy did not want to read about my childhood in Cleveland during WWII.

In a sense, what appears on this page will be a historical novel in the making--a collage of autobiographical pieces embellished with a sprinkle of whimsy, a touch of soul-searching and occasional doses of pain. We all see ourselves as through a mirror, a slightly different view that what outsiders see. I once was quoted as saying that 'too much introspection is not good for anyone.' Apparently I've changed my mind.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Lessons in Navigating the Quagmires of Widowhood: Lesson #1: Learn to Scream.

For those who have followed my quest to recover the money in my piddly joint savings account, I have solved the issue of why B of A has not lifted it, so here's the scoop:

Banks do not routinely freeze joint bank accounts when a spouse dies. The exception is when death occurs after social security benefits for the month have been paid. As noted in my blog, social security benefits are paid in advance. Therefore, SSA seeks a refund of the unused portion(which, of course, assumes the benefits are used for daily sustenance, and for purchases or to pay bills). Thus, my dear departed Chris owes social security a refund of more than half of his benefit. I suspect they will deduct any remaining balance owed, which in my case will be about $50, from the $250 survivor's benefit. So, it's not Bank of America's fault for placing the hold. However, B of A has not trained its personnel to be able to explain this to the survivor, or to understand how this works. I would not have wasted my time. The same holds true as to the SSA. I had to go to the SSA site and research the issue myself. I should have done so in the beginning. ADVICE: I advise my married friends to have social security benefits direct deposited into separate bank accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment